Starting Prep is a big step for your child and for the whole family. Footscray West offers pre-school information sessions, kindergarten visits, classroom activity programs, and social events so everyone can settle in and enjoy this exciting time.
What activities are offered in your transition program?
The Transition Program is held across October/November/December and comprises of:
- Kingergarten Visits by the Transition Coordinator: Between enrolment confirmation and the transition sessions, our Transition Coordinator will visit the local kindergartens and early childhood settings to speak with the educators and to meet your child.
- Three Onsite Transition Sessions: Students are invited to participate in three onsite sessions with the current and future Prep team. During these sessions (ranging from 30-60 minutes each), children will be provided with opportunities to mix with and meet their peers, to become familiar with the classroom environment and more broadly, the school environment. Please note that students are randomly grouped for these sessions, but where possible we aim to provide familiar faces from the pre-school settings.
- Parent Information Video: A video recording is provided to parents, which outlines important information to support every 2024 Prep student’s Transition to School.
- Prep Play Date: Children and their parents visit the Prep Playground in grade groups, after school to meet their 2024 peers and teachers, and to play.
All families will receive a personalised email with the details of the transition program for their child prior to the transition program commencing.
Following the onsite transition sessions and prior to the play dates, an email will be sent to families with details of your child's teacher and grade placement for 2024.
The Start of Prep
- School hours for 2023 are 8:50am – 3:20pm.
- For the first month Preps attend school Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays, with Wednesdays reserved for teacher assessments.
- After the first month, Preps attend Monday to Friday.
- Preps and Juniors must be accompanied by an adult to and from school.
- Preps will only be dismissed by the class teacher when a parent or designated carer arrives to collect them.
- Children must be picked up at the specified time.
- Before and After School Care is provided by TheirCare, held on site in Emu Corner. Please enrol on line @ www.theircare.com.au or ring 1300 072 410.